The Misadventures of Sibeh Sian

You can call me Sian. Sibeh Sian.

Friday, April 21, 2006

The long and short about My Apolitical Colleagues



The newspapers and the media in general have been going on and on about how apolitical Singaporeans are, and how they are more excited about American Idol than the coming General Elections.

I hate to admit this, but I think they are probably right. After the announcement that polling day will fall on the 6th of May, the most pertinent questions buzzing in the office are:


1) Is polling day a holiday? But we don’t work on Saturdays!

2) Since we don’t work on Saturdays, does it mean we don’t need to work on Monday?


I am very ashamed of my apolitical colleagues. I was hoping that they will show more concern when it comes to issues of national importance, instead of quibbling about day-offs. Personally, I’ll hate to see Monday declared as an off-day because people should realize the importance of hard work in contributing to a vibrant economy. By the way, I swear the fact that I have a unpostponeable presentation that day has got no effect on my opinion whatsoever. I think.

Unlike my colleagues, I resolve to be more aware about the political situation of my beloved homeland. As a start, I’m doing serious planning on how to spend the rest of my Progress Package after paying for my mum’s Oto Trimax. I’ll also be suggesting to The Boss about making singing Majulah Singapura a compulsory activity in the office before we start the day.

It feels good to be patriotic :)

With Love,
Sibeh Sian

1 Comments:

  • At Monday, April 24, 2006 10:52:00 AM, Blogger Adrenaline said…

    Not juz the Majulah Singapura, u must say the pledge too.

    Then everyday, everyone will take turn to give a speech on why they love singapore and want to stay here. The option, "bobian, becos no $$ to migrate elsewhere" is not a good enough reason.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home