The Misadventures of Sibeh Sian

You can call me Sian. Sibeh Sian.

Monday, July 31, 2006

The long and short about Sleepless In Toa Payoh



I’ve finally watched Sleepless In Seattle in its entirety over dinner yesterday.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
And when two lovers meet


Here’s a brief synopsis if you’ve been living under a rock like what I’ve been doing all these years: Sleepless In Seattle is about this raving psycho who traveled half-way across the country to look for this guy she's infatuated with after hearing him whine about how much he misses his dearly-departed wife on the radio. But since the said stalker was played by the very lovely Meg Ryan, many mistook it for one of the loveliest romantic comedies of all time.

Besides the sinister undertones, the show talked a lot about destiny, about how that stranger across the street could be the love of your life, just that you don’t know it yet. That got me feeling optimistic because, who knows, that lovely office lady who always takes the 7:30am train at Toa Payoh might just be The One for me. Heh.

Seriously though, some times I lay sleepless on my forlorn King-sized bed, and I wonder when I get to heaven as a virgin, will my maker say something like “Sorry, I forgot to plan a Significant Other for you.” Now that may not be such a far-fletched scenario as it sounds because when I was in the army, my sergeant once told me, “Sorry, I forgot to plan lunch.”

Now this is all very sad to me, because you get really hungry when you don’t get lunch. And it’s not that I’ve not been trying. In my bid to become more attractive, I tried to get a better chest by pulling this latex chest expander, which unfortunately snapped and hit me squarely across the face after just a month’s worth of usage. I tried to improve my IQ by signing up for this Mega Memory package in my teens, but ended up nearly flunking my ‘O’ prelims. I’ve also once saved my canteen break money over months to treat a crush to Jack’s Place on Christmas Eve, only to cry buckets after she cancelled the date at the very last minute. Oh well.

In my disillusionment, I resolved to stop my then daily diet of love songs by Michael Learns To Rock, and sappy love stories such as Sleepless In Seattle. But like every sucker who carries a hope that there really is someone who will one day say we are MFEO, it’s hard to remain a cynic.

And it’s a great feeling, really. It adds that little flush to your cheeks. It gives your step that extra spring. It gives you that little something to look forward to every time you open your eyes in the morning. And looking at Meg and Tom gazing lovingly at each other on top of the Empire State Building just now, I’m willing to bet every penny that it’s a wonderful feeling to be in L o v e.


“Sleepless in Seattle?” quizzed Sushi Eating Friend over dinner just now, “I must have watched that like a dozen times. I still think When Harry Met Sally is the better show though.”

“Hey, I’ve never asked you this, but have you ever considered giving that four-lettered word that begins with a capital L another chance?” Sushi Eating Friend suffered a crashing heartbreak back in our uni days, and hasn’t dated since.

She smiled wistfully and looked pensively at nowhere in particular in the distance before slowly replying, “Maybe. Just maybe.”


Sigh. Happy belated Valentine’s, everyone.

With Love,
Sibeh Sian

20 Comments:

  • At Tuesday, August 01, 2006 12:02:00 AM, Blogger Ang Gu Gu said…

    LOL! =) why ur picture so cute geh...hahaha..

    same funny as old beng..really singaporeans *thumbs up*

    geng ! keep up the good job

     
  • At Tuesday, August 01, 2006 12:15:00 AM, Blogger avalon said…

    aiyo why so emo!

    *hug*


    *proceeds to wipe hands and dust shoulders thereafter*

     
  • At Tuesday, August 01, 2006 12:24:00 AM, Blogger OLLie said…

    awww..

    I thought why got Sleepless In Toa Payoh. Thought you kena harrassed by you-know-what. Now 7th month you know?

    But then again, Sushi Eating Friend and you are rather compatible ar? :D

     
  • At Tuesday, August 01, 2006 12:30:00 AM, Blogger pari said…

    Now that's sweet. Unleash the romantic in you! :p

    I envy the lucky few who prefer to lead a solo life. No one to answer or to feel obligation to. But one thing I fear more than living alone is to die alone.

     
  • At Tuesday, August 01, 2006 12:43:00 AM, Blogger Adrenaline said…

    Are you telling me that u're now going to turn psycho and start stalking the lovely office lady?

    u sick bastard. i'll be the first to tell the police on you. muahahah ....

    But as a consolation, if all else fails, u still have Da Goat. u two are made for each other - both annoying as hell.

     
  • At Tuesday, August 01, 2006 12:49:00 AM, Blogger Sunflower said…

    Sian you 认命吧!

    There is no other way to solve your virgity problem by give yourself to OB.

    NO SEF, SYT for you de!

     
  • At Tuesday, August 01, 2006 12:52:00 AM, Blogger eileen` said…

    lol, why did happy office boy comment here?
    sian, you're so sian that you commented on your own blog?

    anyway, cheer up!

    worse comes to worse, if all plans to lose your virginity to a nice girl comes to nought, there're always the girls at *ahem, geylang.

     
  • At Tuesday, August 01, 2006 12:56:00 AM, Blogger Sibeh Sian said…

    AGG: Thanks for calling me cute. Do you have pretty sisters? Heh.

    Avalon: I am trying to be full of angst because they say girls like that. Haha.

    Ollie: CHOY!

    Pari: I plan to save a lot, and retire in a nursing home full of lovely looking nurses who will give me backrubs till I flip :)

    Adrenaline: Tough. I don't like mutton leh. How huh?

    Sunflower: I want my Sweet Young Thing :(!!!!

    HOB: I love you too! And I think you are very hamsen. Heh.

    Eileen: Cannot cannot, I'm saving my virginity to my future wife. Haha.

     
  • At Tuesday, August 01, 2006 1:19:00 AM, Blogger Sibeh Sian said…

    MissJ: Kate & Leopold! Heh. Almost all good romantic comedies have Meg Ryan sia. Anyway, due to my perpetual fear of getting sued off my pants, I don't like to name the companies I bitch about. Heh. I met the said agent at the underpass near CK Tang though.

     
  • At Tuesday, August 01, 2006 2:20:00 AM, Blogger Jj said…

    Sian, you seemed very desperate to be in love =D

     
  • At Tuesday, August 01, 2006 8:53:00 AM, Blogger nekoi said…

    yesterday was indeed the qi1 qiao3 (Valentine for the chinese)
    so your post is actually quite timely. :) Kate & Leopold is good!

     
  • At Tuesday, August 01, 2006 9:11:00 AM, Blogger Green Ogre said…

    I think that there's a romantic in most of us. Though LOVE need not necessarily be constrained to the romantic kind. For example, I love satay at Lau Pa Sat and prata at Casurina Lane.

    Love tastes wonderful.

     
  • At Tuesday, August 01, 2006 9:43:00 AM, Blogger LemonCloud said…

    Love come in the most unexpected way.
    U never know when it will hit you.
    Reading your previous post, I think Nerd is a good choice ;)
    SYT is definitely out of your reach ;P

     
  • At Tuesday, August 01, 2006 11:17:00 AM, Blogger HANNAH said…

    haha! am never a sucker for romantic shows..be it comedies or what so not...give me action, horror, suspense anytime..but hey, i dont think God has forgotten your significant other...maybe she's just round the corner...in the mama shop? haha!

     
  • At Tuesday, August 01, 2006 12:16:00 PM, Blogger The Fig Fairy said…

    Wow. Suddenly you are so row-man-thick. At least you watch these kinda shows. Most guys don't lor.

     
  • At Tuesday, August 01, 2006 1:05:00 PM, Blogger sÞ¡ηηєє said…

    it's ok SBS, I also never watch this b4. I was too young to understand that movie neither I had any interest!

    Life is really facisnating. It's queer, alluring yet simple.

    Your chance will come in time. It creeps to you silently. Everyone on earth has a chance for that special moment.

    Stay positive!

     
  • At Tuesday, August 01, 2006 2:32:00 PM, Blogger avalon said…

    yes, they do like.. but not too angsty.. if you can cry when watching this kind of emo show, i know there will be girls who will definitely like you! "Sibeh Sian, sibeh poor thing leh!" (proceed to hug / rescue).

     
  • At Tuesday, August 01, 2006 8:17:00 PM, Blogger Sibeh Sian said…

    JJ: To be frank, not only am I desperate in love, I am desperate in a lot of other areas too. Heh.

    Maria: Haha, you are so silly. So how was your Christmas celebration yesterday?

    Nekoi: *Gasp* I had no idea! Haha, I enjoyed Kate & Leopold too. I absolutely heart Meg Ryan.

    Green Ogre: Indeed, I have a lot of loves in my life. KFC, Burger King, Mos.... I love them all!

    LemonCloud: I ain't no broke-backer lah girl :D!

    Hannah: The only ones I see at my mama shop are uncles leh :(

    Twinkles: You'll be surprised, I read Jane Austen too. I wanted to be Mr Darcy when I was young, heh.

    Miss J: Oh! Haha... nay, I didn't tried Ogilvy. Heh.

    Spinnee: Thanks! But I hope it won't creep on me too silently that I miss it, haha....

    Avalon: You should see the number of fans who want to do the 'hug-and-rescue' thingy when JJ cried at his concert, heh.

     
  • At Wednesday, August 02, 2006 11:05:00 PM, Blogger Zhe Bin said…

    "There is only one happiness in life,
    to love and be loved."

    And on a totally unrelated note, I love Tom Hanks' hair.

     
  • At Tuesday, January 15, 2008 12:53:00 AM, Blogger (T) (H) (B) said…

    My ex left me after he came back from his exchange in seattle.. Na bei.. Waste my time..

     

Post a Comment

<< Home