The Misadventures of Sibeh Sian

You can call me Sian. Sibeh Sian.

Sunday, July 30, 2006

The long and short about Why Contentment Is The Recipe For Happiness



I was bitching to Nerd over supper just now, about how dreadful things in my life are going. And seriously, things are kind of bad: My promotion is nowhere in sight, Ms Tan kept bossing me around at work, and I got conned at my favorite fast food just recently.

“But Mr Sian!” interjected Nerd half-way, “You must realize that contentment is the recipe for happiness!” And he goes on to elaborate on what he meant:


- Instead of feeling sorry for myself for not getting promoted, I should be thankful that I still have a job.

- Instead of feeling sad that I don’t have a girlfriend, I should be thankful that my mama still loves me lots.

- Instead of feeling murderous towards the barber who cut my hair way too short last Friday night, I should be thankful that I am not bald.

- Instead of complaining about the dreadful KFC O.R. Chicken Chop, I should be thankful that I still have food on my plate.

- Instead of feeling miserable about that small amount of money in my bank account, I should be thankful that I didn’t accumulate a shitload of debts in the recent World Cup.

- Instead of bitching about the two and a half years I spent in NS, I should be thankful that I don’t have to deal with monthly periods.


I asked Nerd if he has turned religious, but it turns out that he has just been reading a lot of self-help book lately. Heh.

Sushi Eating Friend was not as nice though. When I told her about my impending modeling career, all she could say was, “I hope you will fit nicely in the Barney suit.”

I have no idea why I am still friends with Sushi Eating Friend.

With Love,
Sibeh Sian

14 Comments:

  • At Sunday, July 30, 2006 10:59:00 PM, Blogger antisocialfreak said…

    Nerd's right; and he's definitely so much more nicer than SEF.

    Seems like you have a rather high tolerance level for insults, though. :/

     
  • At Sunday, July 30, 2006 11:21:00 PM, Blogger Lawrence and Alicia said…

    Hey, Nerd is really a great fren to hang out with..

    Anyway did u ask hisopinion on u being a model? Did he hit u with something & ask u to wake up? :P

     
  • At Sunday, July 30, 2006 11:29:00 PM, Blogger Sibeh Sian said…

    ASF: After 3 years' worth of 'friendly' insults from Sushi Eating Friend, I am more or less immuned :)

    Alicia: He was very supportive. He was also asking if I think he can make it as an unconventional-looking model too :)

     
  • At Sunday, July 30, 2006 11:40:00 PM, Blogger Sunflower said…

    I agree with you the long and short about Why Contentment Is The Recipe For Happiness.

    Nerd is a nice buddy to hang around.

    Hmmm as for SEF, you should be be glad she still go out with you, despite you are sibeh ugly and fat.

     
  • At Monday, July 31, 2006 12:14:00 AM, Blogger Thiang! said…

    HAHAHAHA. Sushi Eating Friend has a good sense of humour. And my period doesn't come in months, too. :(

     
  • At Monday, July 31, 2006 12:55:00 AM, Blogger Adrenaline said…

    eh! i told u the same thing before wat! why, when i say, u dun listen? nerd says then u listen??

    wah lau ... u really partner wif him liao lah. still want to pretend.

     
  • At Monday, July 31, 2006 9:10:00 AM, Blogger Green Ogre said…

    If it helps, I think you'll look great in a Barney suit. That way, nobody'll ever get to see your face, little children will love you and your little life will be happier.

    Gods, you're such a glutton for punishment. You remind me of a friend named Kena Suan sometimes.

     
  • At Monday, July 31, 2006 4:41:00 PM, Blogger pj said…

    i don't buy that, i really don't.

    then u shld be thankful for everything and work for nothing?

    oh i have no money to eat, my kids r starving, but i must be thankful for:
    1) a job which cannot support me or my family but i have a JOB, which;
    2)causes me to neglect my health, but i must be thankful because I am still alive so;
    3) i can be stressed and work like a dog under minimal pay but;

    I must be thankful to HAVE A JOB.

    umm. wth? nothing is making sense here. hello? thank for what?

     
  • At Monday, July 31, 2006 4:42:00 PM, Blogger pj said…

    instead of feeling tt u should be thankful, u must wallow in self pity until u kick urself good and hard up ur arse for not doing better.

    then go do better. :)

     
  • At Monday, July 31, 2006 11:30:00 PM, Blogger nadnut said…

    for once, i agree with nerd. :)

     
  • At Monday, July 31, 2006 11:46:00 PM, Blogger Sibeh Sian said…

    Sunflower: Eh, I am a nice buddy to Nerd too! Heh.

    Saltpop: I hope Sushi Eating Friend is just joking too. By the way, my browser hangs every time I try leaving a comment at your blog!

    Adrenaline: I think it's because evern When you try to sprout something profound, my sub-conscious automatically construes it as rubbish instead :)

    Green Ogre: I think I'll look like Barney in a Barney suit too :)

    PJ: Sound advice. But I'm scare of hurting myself if I kick really, really hard!

    Nadnut: To be frank, he is usually disagreeable. Heh.

     
  • At Tuesday, August 01, 2006 12:49:00 AM, Blogger nadnut said…

    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hiatus

    hahaha. :)

     
  • At Tuesday, August 01, 2006 9:11:00 PM, Blogger dave said…

    wth barney suit? kinky man.

     
  • At Tuesday, January 15, 2008 12:50:00 AM, Blogger (T) (H) (B) said…

    Both of you have evil sense of humour that's y u guys r still frens..

     

Post a Comment

<< Home