The Misadventures of Sibeh Sian

You can call me Sian. Sibeh Sian.

Friday, August 04, 2006

The long and short about I Am Crazy: A Supplement



My mum, Nerd, and just about everybody else have been asking why am I subjecting myself to 42.195km of pain, and whether if I’m doing it for the freebies and goodie bag. I am very sad that they think I’m running for such superficial reasons. Just between you and me, I’m running because they promise a nice Adidas shirt for the finisher.

Heh.

Anyway, this is going to be shocking for some of you here, but I actually completed last year’s run. All 42.195km of it, with a good portion spent limping no less. I never told you guys before because if you haven’t noticed, I am a humble man who doesn’t like to yaya-papaya. Haha. *Someone slap me please*.

I’m running again this year because I clocked a horrible timing in 2005: just under 6 hours. Now I know the politically correct thing to say is that everyone who finish the race is a winner, regardless of the timing. But after having Sweet Young Things, aunties, and graying ah peks overtook me last year, I really want to prove to myself that I can better myself this year.

Having said all that, running a marathon is no joke. I was diagnosed with dehydration following last year’s run, and am very glad that I didn’t need to be hospitalized or something. The two-day MC was sweet though. Heh. So please, if you’re thinking of joining, do please spend time, and make that a lot of time, training. Don’t be an idiot like me, who nearly got myself killed by thinking running 30km per week was good enough. Bleah.

But if you think you got what it takes, or are crazy enough to try, a marathon is something you should definitely try at least once in a lifetime, just like peeing in the public. The atmosphere at race day is good enough to justify the horrific training hours you put in, what with the fit and nubile bodies around you and the free 100 Plus. And when you pass the finishing line, I promise you, you will feel exactly like some one who just completed 42.195km.

I feel so fit just typing all that. Time to sleep, right after that packet of Maggie mee.

With Love,
Sibeh Sian

20 Comments:

  • At Saturday, August 05, 2006 12:09:00 AM, Blogger Little Miss Drinkalot said…

    I cannot even imagine running for 6 hours. Given my speed, I think I would take 8 hours.

     
  • At Saturday, August 05, 2006 12:16:00 AM, Blogger Sibeh Sian said…

    LMD: Oh trust me, I thought I signed up for pure shit last year when I did my first 10km training. It gets easier and easier after that though. It also helps that there are many Sweet Young Things around my area, heh.

    Sign up. You know you want to! *Cues Franz Ferdinand in the background*

     
  • At Saturday, August 05, 2006 12:53:00 AM, Blogger Thiang! said…

    Huh, you make me feel like joining it too eh. But I don't want to go alone. It's odd. Heh. I finished my relay today! :D I got a couple of compliments too. :D

     
  • At Saturday, August 05, 2006 8:53:00 AM, Blogger dave said…

    REDBULL gives you wings!

     
  • At Saturday, August 05, 2006 9:57:00 AM, Blogger eileen` said…

    i think you should seriously stop having maggi mee suppers. the MSG in it is so high, that you might find your hair falling out in clumps while running the marathon.

    i'm serious.

    heh.

     
  • At Saturday, August 05, 2006 1:19:00 PM, Blogger Zhe Bin said…

    Although I don't want to admit hor, you are seriously arousing my interest in taking part leh. Godammit.

     
  • At Saturday, August 05, 2006 2:28:00 PM, Blogger Sunflower said…

    I will give you moral support. The most I can run is 5km, not more than tat.

    I suggest you hop over Hunter's blog, he is a runner. He always blog about his training.

    http://inthemoodofrunning.blogspot.com/

     
  • At Saturday, August 05, 2006 2:31:00 PM, Blogger pari said…

    Erm, I think you can get the same shirt with the Half Marathon. :p Anyway, that's the race catagory I'm in and I hope that my knees will not give way.

    But... I'm awe-stuck! WOW!!! You actually completed the whole thing last year?! Good on you! I only ran 10km because I was a long distance newbie and didn't want to kill myself. But surprisingly, it was not as tough as I thought because of the relatively even running ground. Dodging water bottles is another thing though...and they better do something about the bags collection booths! The time I spent frying in the sun was nearly the same as the time I took to run!

     
  • At Saturday, August 05, 2006 2:45:00 PM, Blogger Jaschocolate said…

    *a big SLAP*

    Nah, give u liao.. so go train now lah..

     
  • At Saturday, August 05, 2006 8:36:00 PM, Blogger LemonCloud said…

    I think just completing the run is already an achievement, so take it easy on that day ;)

     
  • At Saturday, August 05, 2006 11:42:00 PM, Blogger tunaflsh loves apple pie... said…

    Well..Running 2.4km is enough to kill me. Haha. Good luck! Hope you can overtake those Sweet Young Things, aunties, and graying ah peks this time round. =)
    Oh ya. Ask Nerd along la! Hehe.

     
  • At Sunday, August 06, 2006 12:52:00 AM, Blogger Sibeh Sian said…

    Saltpop: Find some hunk(s) to join you, then sure will have more motivation one!

    Dave: I tried it once! Instead of wings, it gave me the runs. Heh.

    Eileen: CHOY CHOY :D!!!! It's one of the most horrible thing that can happen to anyone, serious!

    Zhe Bin: I'm very, very disturbed to hear that I am able to arouse you.

    Sunflower: Will I get hunted if I go to Hunter's blog? Haha. I am so lame.

    Pari: Pari, I've got some bad news for you: The yaya-papaya finisher's shirt that goes "I complete 42.195km" is only given to finishers of the full marathon. Heh. But I promise to sell it to you at a very good price, because I am cheap and have no pride ;) But seriously though, yeah, I had a hard time doging the water bottle missiles last year too. Not to mention the inconsiderate people peeing by the roadside. Wait. I was one of them.

    JasChoc: Sibeh painful!

    Miss J: Damn. That means I'm not gonna make it!

    LemonCloud: Cannot take it easy! In fact, I want to beat the Kenyans and win the prize money of USD$25K. Riiiggghhhhttttt.

    TLEM: I did ask Nerd. But that ungrateful fellow, he told me he will be busy with his modelling assignments. Damn.

     
  • At Sunday, August 06, 2006 1:35:00 AM, Blogger Jj said…

    Sian may i know how much is the registration fee first? =X

    You really tempted me to join!
    And there's free adidas shirt and 100plus too =D

     
  • At Sunday, August 06, 2006 1:57:00 AM, Blogger Sunflower said…

    Hmmmm, you are lame no doubt. But even you dont go there, you wont be hunted too. The ghost see you, there kena scare off by you!

     
  • At Sunday, August 06, 2006 2:08:00 AM, Blogger Zhe Bin said…

    OMG I MEANT ROUSE. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

     
  • At Sunday, August 06, 2006 2:25:00 AM, Blogger LR said…

    i'm beginning to suspect you're not as ugly as you make yourself out to be. at least not from the neck down.

     
  • At Sunday, August 06, 2006 10:44:00 AM, Blogger Xia_mi_mi said…

    Wahah~! Din know one could feel so FIT after a pack of noodles... =P

    Aniwae its cool enuf that you could actually survive the run w/o being hauled to the hospital ma..juz try to improve ur timing next year? =)

     
  • At Sunday, August 06, 2006 12:03:00 PM, Blogger Sibeh Sian said…

    JJ: If you register before 21 Aug, it cost a mere $42 instead of the usual $85. Besides the freedies + goodie bag, you also get a medal, a cert, and another shirt when you finish the race! And yes, you can drink all the 100 Plus you want. I swore off that yucky drink after the race due to serious OD.

    Sunflower: Good good, now 7th month, I is scared :)

    Zhe Bin: I like it when you act shy. Heh.

    Le Raine: Damn, I'm outed. Indeed, I am not as ugly as I made myself out to be. I'm uglier.

    XMM: Ah, you'll be surprised, but the Jap troops ate instant mee during WWII to keep themselves going. Damn, that sounded so convincing, except for the fact instant mee was invented after WWII, haha....

     
  • At Sunday, August 06, 2006 11:12:00 PM, Blogger Zhe Bin said…

    Wtf I am shy.

     
  • At Monday, August 07, 2006 10:04:00 AM, Blogger Adrenaline said…

    HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! zhebin, now u admit u have a thing for SBS lah, dats why u keep sticking up for him.

    oh, u two are so meant for each other. wahahahahahah ....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home