The Misadventures of Sibeh Sian

You can call me Sian. Sibeh Sian.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

The long and short about My National Day



As proof of how patriotic I am, I rushed home in a cab to catch the National Day Parade at home just now. I thought the cab uncle was a fellow patriot because he hung a mini flag by the side of his taxi, and was playing ‘Stand Up For Singapore’ on his stereo. On repeat. I thus wanted to try my luck and ask for a 41 cent discount, but thought the better of it when the uncle cast me a dirty look.

I am very happy because I was back in time to catch the show in its entirety. I think the organizers are sexist because while they made Vincent Ng appear on TV half-naked, they didn’t do the same to any of the female performers. Sibeh sian. They also didn’t fulfill my wish of making our lovely Miss Singapore Universe appear in our lovely national costume.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
My mum told me our national costume didn’t used to look like that in the past


Anyway, I really enjoyed the show because it brought back so many memories of the stuff I did when I was a young and innocent kid (just in case you are wondering, I am now a young and innocent man):


- When they play Mari Kita on the TV, I would stand in attention in front of the TV and start singing with gusto.

- Come to think of it, I would stand and sing along to all of the national songs they played. My personal favorite is We Are Singapore. Every time they reach the pledge portion, I feel a tear at the edge of my eyes sia.

- I really, really wanted to be part of the Men In Uniform after watching them march in smartly with their glittering badges and rifles. I was also very impressed by their marksmanship because no one ever gets shot despite so many shots being fired.

- I also wanted to be a pilot after watching the aerial display. That dream was cruelly dashed when the frumpy school nurse told me “Pilot your head lah pilot, you need to wear specs lah.”

- Since I couldn’t be a pilot, I thought being the President would be nice too because I will get chauffeured into the stadium with thunderous applause awaiting me. If fact, if I am President, I will lead the nation in a mass karaoke session of Count On Me, Singapore.


Oh well. The ambitions you have when you are a kid.

Happy Birthday, Singapore :)

With Love,
Sibeh Sian.

16 Comments:

  • At Wednesday, August 09, 2006 11:17:00 PM, Blogger Adrenaline said…

    no wonder u're still single and unattached.

     
  • At Thursday, August 10, 2006 12:14:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Happy Birthday S'pore!

     
  • At Thursday, August 10, 2006 12:29:00 AM, Blogger Zhe Bin said…

    I can totally understand the pledge part. But I wouldn't stand in front of the tv and sing aloud to the songs lah. I like the parade part best. I don't like to see the dances though.

    Ah. At least you could watch it. I could only hear the planes fly by and the fireworks. I'm working somewhere terribly near Kallang.

     
  • At Thursday, August 10, 2006 1:02:00 AM, Blogger Jj said…

    "My mum told me our national costume didn’t used to look like that in the past"

    juz wondering how did it looked like in that case. ?_?

     
  • At Thursday, August 10, 2006 1:06:00 AM, Blogger tunaflsh loves apple pie... said…

    My personal favourite is where i belong by tanya chua. =)

    The parts on the men in uniform+pilot+the president of your entry are funny! Mr Sian, 好样的!

     
  • At Thursday, August 10, 2006 8:54:00 AM, Blogger Sunflower said…

    I agree with bochup that our gov did a damn good job to drill the song and the pledge.

    sian, hmmm, about the part you are innocent.. again you wan to see the pig dance... you are one of the corrupted ppl I ever seems here!

     
  • At Thursday, August 10, 2006 9:20:00 AM, Blogger pj said…

    honestly speaking i don't know how to sing half the songs, not even our national song.

    but really, how many ppl actually can sing our national song?

    with no mistakes??

     
  • At Thursday, August 10, 2006 9:29:00 AM, Blogger Fr0g said…

    hmmm..."I am now a young an innocent man.."--> a berri SEXY line indeed...

    but hor for wat i understand all boy, man or ah pek are borned not "so" innocent..cos practise of PCC_ing start as early as 10 or 15? kekeke

    ^___^

     
  • At Thursday, August 10, 2006 9:52:00 AM, Blogger Green Ogre said…

    I still want to be the President. :P

     
  • At Thursday, August 10, 2006 10:57:00 AM, Blogger eileen` said…

    sian, perhaps you should go jump in the singapore river and show us exactly how patriotic you are. =D

     
  • At Thursday, August 10, 2006 11:11:00 AM, Blogger Saroette said…

    Sian,

    so glad u so ermm... 'patriotic'

    but the singing in front of the TV.. mre for siao lang rather than u lor.. haha.. ur nick Sian mar not siao lang right? haha

    was there at the parade yest at the Stadium..

    the men in uniforms.. wah!! Cool but the pok pok pok is the best part of the show!

     
  • At Thursday, August 10, 2006 6:32:00 PM, Blogger dave said…

    hahaha singapore's national costume. maybe that was what the kampong girls wore while raffles still roamed the lands.

     
  • At Thursday, August 10, 2006 10:05:00 PM, Blogger antisocialfreak said…

    Omg I was going to say that you were a weird... err I mean, patriotic, kid for singing along to all of the national day songs; then I realised I used to do the exact same thing when I was a kid too.

     
  • At Friday, August 11, 2006 12:24:00 AM, Blogger Beth said…

    Actually your amibtions were quite normal as a child.
    Mine were weird-er.
    I actually wanted to be one of the "Xuan Feng Xiao Fei Xia" (if you chaps are old enuff to remember the cartoons back then- it's something similar to Power Rangers).
    Don't worry- you are not as weird as moi yet...

     
  • At Friday, August 11, 2006 4:03:00 PM, Blogger Sibeh Sian said…

    Adrenaline: Go ahead, rub it in. I have no idea why I am still friends with you!

    Aileen: Thank you so much! But my birthday is still some time away, and my name is not S'pore le :P

    Zhe Bin: Please tell me where you work! I am very, very interested in your work. And staff discounts.

    JJ: My mum said sarong kebaya. Heh.

    TLEM: I am still crossing my fingers that I can be President next time :)

    Grace: Not only was it drilled in school, they were also repeated during almost every commercial break between shows! Heh.

    Sunflower: I am an innocent boy! Really!

    PJ: Make mistake never mind, as long as your heart is in it can already :D!

     
  • At Friday, August 11, 2006 4:03:00 PM, Blogger Sibeh Sian said…

    Frog: Being a family-oriented blog, I shall not go into much discussions about PCCing, heh.

    Green Ogre: Don't forget about your promise to confer the Dukedom of Toa Payoh to me!

    Eileen: I would love too, but I can't swim. And I think they also fine people who do that!

    Saroette: Yes yes, I am a very patriotic boy :)! And singing in front of TV is perfectly sane and common I tell you. THey do it all the time in KTVs :D!

    Dave: Wah. No wonder so many people say the good ol' kampung days are good!

    ASF: *Hi-fives with ASF*

    Beth: OMIGOD! Yes, I remember xuan feng xiao fei xia! I even remember the hand signals, which I do all the time to annoy Sushi Eating Friend. Heh.

    LMG: Yes, I was standing up when I sang :)!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home