The Misadventures of Sibeh Sian

You can call me Sian. Sibeh Sian.

Monday, September 11, 2006

The long and short about The Great Pain



I have no idea how you guys spent your weekend, but I hope it was very different from the one I had because I was in great pain. I was in great pain because I was strapped in a cold reclining chair, with my eyes wide shut while my mouth got violated by the insertion of foreign objects that violently poked, probed, and grinded hard.

In other words, I went for a wisdom tooth extraction.

I don’t know about you guys but I have a great fear of the dentist since childhood. But the weeks of insomnia and pounding headache finally did me in, and I know I will probably go nuts if I don’t get that offending molar out of my head. So with a heavy heart, I called the company dentist after that all-nighter last Friday, and was lucky enough to get an appointment in the same afternoon.

I was very, very lucky indeed.

The dentist was a nice enough chap, and assured me that with the advances of modern dentistry, the operation will be done with swiftly and painlessly. I was also calmed by the presence of the very well-endowed dental assistant in a very, very short skirt.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
. . . . gulp :)


After a brief examination of the tooth, the dentist asked if I wanted any anesthetic. It was a no-brainer for me because being the wimp I am, I have an incredibly low threshold for pain. That turned out to be a very bad mistake because after the administration, he looked very, very worried and asked if I am really not allergic to anesthetic. After looking into the mirror he offered me, I discovered the cause of his concern: my left cheek has swelled to gigantic proportions.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
No photoshop required


The dentist then attempted to calm me down with a cheerful “I think I hit a nerve by accident, haha!” and proceeded to laugh nervously.

‘Haha’ my foot la haha.

After that not-so-little misadventure, he started on the extraction procedure. It was kind of funny in a way because even though he yanked and yanked and yanked, I felt no pain at all because of the anesthetic. In fact, the procedure was completed swiftly as promised, and I was generally ok even though I looked like I had a fishball stuck in my left cheek. I was even stingy strong enough to take the train for home instead of taking a cab.

The real pain came after I reached home. The effects of the anesthetic had more or less worn off by then, and it felt as if someone had used a sledgehammer on my mouth. I was in terrible pain, and was also feverish due to the loss of blood during the extraction. As if all that wasn’t enough, I also had to live on porridge for the next three days and forgo my usual weekend treat at KFC.

If there ever is a vaccine for wisdom teeth, I swear I will be one of the first to endorse it.

By the way, the nurse-in-very-short-skirt was really close to me throughout the procedure, and even wiped the beads of sweat off my head while I was lying helpless and vulnerable in that dentist chair. Maybe I should start visiting the dentist on a regular basis :)

With Love,
Sibeh Sian

P.S. In other news, I would like to congratulate Adrenaline for being a step closer to 30. But no worries babe, don’t need to worry about whether you will start looking like you are 30, because you’ve looked like that for a long time already :)

21 Comments:

  • At Monday, September 11, 2006 3:06:00 PM, Blogger Sunflower said…

    I hope you feeling better.

    Adrenaline, Happy birtyday to you!

    Anyway after watching MNIKSS, I look forward to turn 30 too.

    Women in thirties, definitely more mature and got "Mei li"

     
  • At Monday, September 11, 2006 3:29:00 PM, Blogger Green Ogre said…

    Be gald that your dentist isn't that Steve Martin character in Little Shop of Horrors.

     
  • At Monday, September 11, 2006 3:50:00 PM, Blogger SeaLs said…

    I love the way you and Adrenaline stab at each other - hah!

    Do have regular checkups - I just spent $300 on my dental treatments. And 2 wisdom teeth extractions to go. =( SOB. At least my chubby cheeks are swollen due to the pain - well, they've been looking like that for some years already. =P

     
  • At Monday, September 11, 2006 6:52:00 PM, Blogger The One They Proclaimed Qiang said…

    Is that you in that picture? If it is, then I can say nothing but to show my condolences :)

     
  • At Monday, September 11, 2006 9:30:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Lol, the butt damn perky sia. Ask your ah ma to steam yong tau foo for you everyday. Just swallow, no need to chew. :D

     
  • At Monday, September 11, 2006 9:34:00 PM, Blogger ReneRene said…

    hey sian hope you are better now!

    i've got 2 wisdom tooth, one on the left and one on the right. mine are tricky ones cos' they grew horizontally to my gums, not the usual vertical growth..will cost me 880 bucks to extract leh.
    How much did u pay for yours?

     
  • At Monday, September 11, 2006 10:37:00 PM, Blogger Sibeh Sian said…

    Sunflower: I'm starting to take solid food again. For the moment, I still feel sibeh hungry most of the time :(

    Green Ogre: I've not watched that show before, but yah, I think I will be glad I did not met such a character. Heh.

    Seals: I still have 3 left! I hope they will not erupt any time soon :(

    Ketchup: No way porridge is nicer than KFC :D! Not even the super duper nice one at Changi T1 staff canteen in the morning :)

    Qiang: Unfortunately, that is indeed me. COndolences accepted :(

    Aileen: I will be very, very worried if my ah ma, who is 'somewhere up there', makes steam yong tau foo for me :)

    TLL: Here's the beauty of it all: My company is taking care of the entire bill. I have no idea how much it cost :D!

     
  • At Monday, September 11, 2006 10:49:00 PM, Blogger Thiang! said…

    I think you actually look good in swollen cheeks! :D My weekend was horrible man.

     
  • At Monday, September 11, 2006 11:13:00 PM, Blogger OLLie said…

    My weekend was wasted on chionging My Name is Kim Sam Soon on Youtube. haha..

    But anyway, I extracted 8 teeth (4 wisdoms and 4 pre molars) in 2 visits. Not too bad la. Just that I lost so much blood that I was dizzy and can't even walk for half an hour. haha..

    Other than that, I thought you like girls with fine chubby cheeks? Now you have one. Happy not? :D

     
  • At Monday, September 11, 2006 11:21:00 PM, Blogger ReneRene said…

    Sian: Argh! My company only provides 80 bucks per year for dental benefits! Although they do give holiday money lah..I don't know whether this is good or bad - Low dental benefit, free holiday money.

     
  • At Monday, September 11, 2006 11:55:00 PM, Blogger LemonCloud said…

    I got an unlogic fear of dentist and your entry reminded me of unpleasant memory ;(

     
  • At Monday, September 11, 2006 11:56:00 PM, Blogger eileen` said…

    i used to have a wisdom tooth too, "used to" because i can't find that silver of white anymore. weird no?

    but extraction is good for you. at least you don't eat the artery-clogging kfc. therefore you lose weight. =)

     
  • At Tuesday, September 12, 2006 12:02:00 AM, Blogger tstar said…

    wah.. looks horrible. hope it'll get better quickly.
    Look on the bright side! no KFC means lose weight, means MAYBE got SYT lehz! =D

     
  • At Tuesday, September 12, 2006 12:09:00 AM, Blogger Adrenaline said…

    The min i see dentist, i feel relieved on the fact that Da Company sponsors 'ees with $500 each yr on dental treatment. That way, i can still go to the very good but expensive dentist that i go to.

    and u fucking CB! tell everyone abt my possible age. Juz recently, i met a cute guy that told me i look no more than 25 ;) so u can go to hell, u bleedin' jerk.

     
  • At Tuesday, September 12, 2006 2:39:00 AM, Blogger dex.8.1 said…

    sidetrack a bit ...i thought you duo poly mates. How come age gap 3 years???

     
  • At Tuesday, September 12, 2006 9:23:00 AM, Blogger Sibeh Sian said…

    Saltpop: I see you like people with chubby cheeks too. Heh. And I still can't leave comments in your blog one leh?

    Ollie: I want to watch the show too! But no time. And you damn power, 8 teeth in 2 visits?!?!??!

    TLL: Heh, I also have good medical benefits too :)

    LemonCloud: Tell us about it :D!

    Eileen: On the contrary, I reserve to eat KFC day after day after day when I'm feeling better to make up for the lost time. Heh.

    Tstar: The swelling is down some what. Will be having a check-up again on Friday. Sibeh scared.

    Adrenaline: Guys usually subtract 5 years when asked about how a female friend looks like, so he actually meant 30. Heh :)

    Freakkler: Yes, we were poly mates. Age gap?!??! Ha. Ha. Ha. :)

     
  • At Tuesday, September 12, 2006 9:31:00 AM, Blogger pj said…

    eat ice cream! its cold (so its numbing) and its really nice.

    so yeah. eat loads of ice cream! :)

    or milkshakes, whatever.

    and i extracted my wisdom teeth last yr : 3 at one go. ouch.

    so yeah, take care! hope u dun hv fever!

     
  • At Tuesday, September 12, 2006 12:24:00 PM, Blogger Saroette said…

    woah.. u now then take out ar?
    Got so kua chang swell till like tat ar?

    i took out all 4 within 6 mths individually n it costs me a freaking thousand dollars!! N my co.. gives a pathetic $70 lor.

    no need to eat porridge for the whole wk lar.. i was eating mac chicken nuggets 2 days after i removed the tooth.

    sigh...

     
  • At Tuesday, September 12, 2006 4:18:00 PM, Blogger Winter_Cherrie said…

    hi sian

    can you show part of your midsections of your face next hee hee follow by your eyes sections haha

     
  • At Wednesday, September 13, 2006 11:22:00 PM, Blogger Sibeh Sian said…

    PJ: I did! NTUC has Dreyer's on offer, and I ate a lot of Rocky Road. Heh.

    Saroette: I don't know if my friend was boasting or not, but he went to this really good dentist and supposedly had steak that night. But I can't complain lah, mine is free :)

    Yanni: I would love to, but I don't want to spoil your appetite :)

    Grace: THe dentist did asked if I wanted to keep it, but the sight of that ugly thing made me say 'no' :P

     
  • At Thursday, September 14, 2006 1:19:00 AM, Blogger Adrenaline said…

    freakkler: dat's becos im not 30 lah, that bleedin' bastard tried to mislead everyone. nabeh CB.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home