The Misadventures of Sibeh Sian

You can call me Sian. Sibeh Sian.

Sunday, May 21, 2006

The long and short about The Big Walk



So after getting barely five odd hours’ worth of sleep, I dragged myself out of bed to meet Sushi Eating Friend for the Big Walk this morning. She wanted to walk over to the stadium from Kallang MRT, but I convinced her to take the shuttle bus service at Dhoby Ghaut instead because it’s, eh, free.

What I didn’t know was a very, very long queue awaits us at the, eh, waiting point.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
A very, very small portion of the very, very long queue


After waiting for like fourty odd minutes, we finally boarded the chartered bus, which eventually dropped us off somewhere very near Kallang MRT. We missed the flag-off, and Sushi Eating Friend was understandably pissed not very happy with me.

Anyway, we started our walk, and I slowly begin to realize that the Big Walk isn’t just about walking for a lot for people:


For some, The Big Walk is about juggling:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
If he miscue on his juggling, I would be in for a Big Pain



For others, it’s about Dragon-dancing:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Lucky the Para Para Dancers never join in



For quite a few, it’s about Kung Fu


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I am so gonna get banned in China for posting this pic



But for most of us Singaporeans, it’s about wisely utilizing short-cuts when appropriate.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Organizers of the Big Walk were perplexed by the record number of people who broke the record walking time



To me, the highlight of the Big Walk was at the mid-point because they were distributing free mineral water the view near Fullerton was breathtaking. Some of my fellow walkers, deciding that the Big Walk was not challenging enough, tried to make the walk tougher by stuffing a lot of the free mineral water into their pockets, their pouches, their backpacks and their baby-strollers. I salute them all: the national policy of keeping fit is obviously working very well.

Alas, all fun things have to come to an end, and it wasn’t long before we saw the end-point.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I am a Fun Walker




The first thing Sushi Eating Friend and I did upon completing our Walk was to rush over to queue for our goodie-bags. I was very happy because I got myself a free Sundae, face wash, towel, and eh, sunflower oil (what the?!?). My $4 registration fee has been justified. I also enjoyed the free samples Haagen Daaz was distributing, keke.

We then proceed to wait for the lucky draw results under the rapidly gloomy skies. After an hour plus, I realized that Fate wants my first lucky draw win not to be the Nissan Sylphy, but probably a Toto top prize in the not-so-distant future.

I also think Sushi Eating Friend looked very hot today in her pink hat, pink top and pink shorts. A pity she’s not into men. She also managed to worm her way out of the Carl’s Jr treat by claiming that I made her miss the flag-off.

Oh well.

With Love,
Sibeh Sian

10 Comments:

  • At Sunday, May 21, 2006 11:09:00 PM, Blogger Cake said…

    don't think i don't know who you are!

    *grumble grumble grumble*

     
  • At Sunday, May 21, 2006 11:41:00 PM, Blogger Green Ogre said…

    Well, at least you've completed it. And seriously, Carl Jr's is not that fantastic. Don't be a stinge, buy your friend a dinner at Billy Bomber's.

    Can I get a treat as well? I will keep on telling everyone how you rock!

     
  • At Monday, May 22, 2006 1:44:00 AM, Blogger Adrenaline said…

    eh, i got an idea whc u can score wif sushi eating friend. pretend to be gay, so that u two hv a common interest - into the same gender. fm there on, u can proceed to woo her. U can also ask Nerd to pretend to be ur gay partner. i'm sure he'll oblige.

     
  • At Monday, May 22, 2006 2:18:00 PM, Blogger Sibeh Sian said…

    Milktea: To put it simply, I think Sushi Eating Friend is lesbian.

    Cake: I knew I couldn't keep my Superman identity a secret.

    Green Ogre: Billy Bomber's is sibeh expensive, and I'm sibeh stingy.

    Adrenaline: *Shudders*

     
  • At Monday, May 22, 2006 5:19:00 PM, Blogger OLLie said…

    Teeheehee.. I never ever completed any Big Walk before. Always halfway into the walk, I would run off into the welcoming air con of Suntec City.

     
  • At Monday, May 22, 2006 9:15:00 PM, Blogger Sibeh Sian said…

    Ollie: That was what I did last year. I had Big Breakfast too.

    Spongy: I don't want to lose my only female friend :(

     
  • At Wednesday, May 24, 2006 9:23:00 AM, Blogger The Oriental Express said…

    Was just thinking you look a little like that cute Chinese guy from America who createed quite a furore with his singing. What's his name. William something?

    Ganchau :-)

     
  • At Wednesday, May 24, 2006 9:27:00 AM, Blogger The Oriental Express said…

    Being an old lady with some backache problems, I started the big walk at my own time and from my own starting point at Fullerton Hotel. Took MRT to Raffles and walked the remaining 5km to the Stadium. This way, I avoided the human jam in shuttle buses, and spared my bones from aching. As a fun walker, this is the only way I can create my own 5km walk.

    Enjoy your blog, Sibei. Buay sian reading your articles! So keep it up!

    Gan Chau

     
  • At Wednesday, May 24, 2006 9:56:00 AM, Blogger Sibeh Sian said…

    Gan Chau: Ah, you may be an old lady with back problems, but that doesn't mean you can cheat ok? Surrender your goodie back to me. Heh.

     
  • At Saturday, May 27, 2006 8:59:00 PM, Blogger The Oriental Express said…

    Oh... the goodie bag. Ah given away already.... even the T-shirt also gave away. Had my own old lady's blouse on lah. How to wear T-shirt... trying to look sporty, but not actually sporty at all.

    Hope next year, no body copy meow me ok. Or else, the FULLerton Hotel will be really fULL of cheat walkers like old aunty. I enjoyed the mini stage concert. That boy who made so much noise and music without any instrument was great! Incredible! How did he do it.? Old Aunty came home to practise... but tak bolih lah.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home