The Misadventures of Sibeh Sian

You can call me Sian. Sibeh Sian.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

The long and short about Interviews



Despite all the stupid interesting comments that Adrenaline left in my blog, I sincerely wish her all the best in her coming interview because I know how screwed it feels when you screw one up.

A nong nong long long time ago (actually, just ten months), when I was a fresh grad from the uni, I applied for a position at this ang mo advertising firm. It was famous in the industry for three things: their very bold and creative ads, their very handsome salaries, and their very gay boss.

Being a top-notch ad firm, their recruitment method was very unique too. I was short-listed for a mass interview at a board game café. They didn’t mention the reason why, but my guess is that they want to observe your interaction and problem-solving skills in a social setting.

So I arrived at the café, and met the rest of my fellow interviewees and prospective boss. After a quick introduction of ourselves, we started with the games. The first we played was Scrabble, which I aced easily (I’m that good, heh). Then I followed up by emerging the default winner for the game I proposed, because no one else in the group knew how to play Chinese Chess.

The third we played was Taboo. I thought I could cream this too because I’m really quite good with guessing games. I had no idea how wrong I was.


Partner: Ok, what do you call someone who doesn’t like females?

Me: Gay!

Partner: No no!

Me: Homosexual!

Partner: No no, try again!

Me: Eh. . . . Monk? Gay monk?

Partner: NO! Remember, he doesn’t like females, what is he?

Me, in desperation: ABNORMAL!


The ‘happy’ ang mo boss didn’t look happy at all. And that’s the reason why I ended up slaving for The Boss and Ms Tan later.

With Love,
Sibeh Sian

P.S. I offer a drink to anyone who can get the taboo word right. Any takers?

9 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home